Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The Gift that Keeps on Giving

It occured to me the other day that I don't really talk about the process of starting a project.  Most of my yarn comes in skein form:
Pre-sock

This is the best kind because it means I can pull from the center of the ball, find the end, and begin my project.  Some people prefer to wind their yarn in a ball, but I'm really against doing extra work.  Sometimes, the yarn comes twisted together, like this:

Mmm, Madeline Tosh sock yarn - the BMW of sock yarns

I see this most often with hand-dyed and hand-painted yarns.  The downside of this is that sometimes while storing it, you end up with this:


Sock yarn purchased in 2011 in Watkins Glen, NY - beautiful, but oh, what a mess
I love hand-dyed and hand-painted yarns, but in order to use it properly, you must wind it into a ball.  I've accomplished this at home by asking my beloved husband to hold his arms up like football uprights while I drape the yarn around both arms, find the end, and begin rolling the ball.  This is tedious for everyone involved.  Particularly him, who often gets stuck figuring out where the jam is on the yarn and wiggling his arms around to help straighten out the jam.  He does this out of a deep & abiding sense of love, since it is so boring.  (Even I hate it, and I love yarn.)

So for Christmas, I decided to give us both a gift and ask for a yarn swift:



Instead of Himself being trapped on the couch for half an hour (or more), I can set this one to fit whatever skein of yarn I want to roll into a ball and leave him out of it completely.  Plus, it's a new knitting toy so it hasn't lost its attractiveness to me yet so I now find winding yarn fun.  Go figure.



He also bought me Vogue Knitting, a book on techniques, terminology & all things knitting.  It's ten years old but is considered The Bible of knitting by serious knitters.  Also, it's the only thing with "Vogue" in the title that will be found in our house, ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment