Saturday, February 16, 2013

Birthday Socks

January & February are big birthday months on my calendar - almost every day for both months I know someone who is having a birthday.  Sometimes I know more than one person on a particular day.  Very few people get birthday socks, however.  That's because I am so fried from Christmas and because Facebook makes it easy for me to zip off a quick post and call it done.  I had three pairs go out in the first 34 days of 2013 - a pair of socks for my mother (Jan. 2), my toddler cousin M (Jan. 4) and M's big sister A (Feb 3.)  That's a lot of socks in a short time span.  Of course, I only remembered to photograph my mother's:

Accurate color of the socks, but no visible pattern

Hello, Vorticity!

This is the Vorticity pattern that I have used on my own socks & the pair I did for my MIL for her birthday back in November.  The original book pattern uses a darker colorway for the socks than I had previously used, and is very simliar to the yarn I chose for this (Regia Blitz Color - gray) so I was happy to see that the pattern still shows well.  Of course the Sock Mon....I mean, Mom, loves the socks.  She keeps raving about how warm they are.  Which they are, but that's the yarn, not the pattern.  My pair is made out of a bamboo/rayon blend, and they are as cool and breezy as a fan blowing on your feet.  Not really, but that paints a nice picture, doesn't it?

Currently on the needles are socks for Goddaughter E's birthday, March 21.  I picked a Lorna's Laces hand-dyed yarn in Girly Stripe, which I though would make thicker bands of color, but instead does alternating pink and purple stripes by row:



I am using Classic Socks for the Family as the pattern, which is what I use for all the childrens' socks I make.  I like variegated yarns (as do the kids - "Look ma, wild socks!") so I don't put the effort in of following a chart for a sock pattern because they are going to outgrow whatever I make them anyway.  I do hope the socks are being saved somewhere, or handed down to another family, because it would kill me to think they were just being tossed when they didn't fit.  (If anyone is doing that, stop it.  You're killing me.)

Can I just tell you how much my wrists ache these days?  And how sick I am of socks?  And yet there are more to come.  I am going to switch everyone over to woven throws.  Bet that will be real popular with the kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment