Sunday, October 21, 2012

Scarves for All

Seriously.  I finished yet another holiday gift in just a week:

Not quite the true color, but close
I bought this yarn last year thinking it would make a lovely scarf.  Very true.  I chose a pattern by Margaret Radcliff called "Winter Windows Silk Scarf."  The original pattern calls for a very silky, sequined yarn which I am sure is lovely but my aim with creating a scarf was to make something pretty but warm & practical for New England, especially since this year is supposed to be very cold and snowy.

The pattern is a basic basketweave, interspersed with yarn-overs to make lacy openings.


It's pretty hard to see them in either photograph, but trust me, they're there.  (Third row up, 2nd & 4th block in, then 6th row up 3rd block in.)  I wanted something with a little detail but again, not so lacy that it was going to let in the bitter New England winter wind.

I am now fully a believer in scarves for all instead of socks.  A holiday gift that takes a week?  I could be completely finished by Thanksgiving.  Sadly, the cousins' children and the Sock Monster would be sorely disappointed.  I will, however, be making myself a scarf and hat set after the holiday knitting is finished.  Just for the delight in finishing a project so quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment